Project Expertise as Director, International Intelligence on Culture
As an expert in his own right and through his work as Director of International Intelligence on Culture, and before that the International Arts Bureau, Rod Fisher has led or been an active partner in a diverse range of cultural policy research and consultancy projects in response to commissions from European institutions, national and local governments, arts/culture councils and foundations.
Examples of work undertaken include:
- Independent expert for the Preparatory Action on Culture in EU External Relations as part of consortium led by the Goethe-Institut (2013-2014).
- Chairman/moderator or rapporteur of various conferences/seminars, e.g. Co-chairman of the final conference in Beijing of the EU-China Year of Intercultural Dialogue, 30 November 2012; Rapporteur of the Cyprus EU Presidency conference on governance of culture, 28–29 August 2012; Moderator at IETM seminar on Creativity & Education, Bratislava, 24 April 2009; Moderator at Czech EU Presidency Forum for a Creative Europe, Prague, 26-27 March 2009; Moderator at Ministry of Culture, Sports & Tourism "Cultural Policy" conference, Hanoi, Viet Nam, 26–27 November 2008, etc.
- Research on whether there has been a paradigm shift in EU Member States’ cultural relations policies with third countries for briefing to European Commission staff in November 2009, followed by research update 2010/2011 supported by European Cultural Foundation (Revisiting EU member States’ international cultural relations). The findings were disseminated at seminars in Barcelona, Bratislava, Brussels, New York, Paris etc.
- Expert on ERICarts Study on Mobility of Artists and Cultural Professionals in Europe for European Commission (2008).
- The potential of a cultural dimension to European Union external policies for LabforCuture (2006–07)
- Skills & competencies needed by managers of transnational cultural co-operation projects for European Commission (partner 2005–07)
- Arts & Cultural indicators for Hong Kong Arts Development Council (with Colin Mercer etc, 2004–06)
- Asia-Europe cultural co-operation partnership mapping looking at information resources in Europe (with Dr Lidia Varbanova) for Asia-Europe Foundation (2005)
- Programming of and report on Asia-Europe cultural policy conference in Bangkok (2004–05)
- Review of Finnish Arts Council System for Ministry of Education, Finland (with Theodoor Adams and Pertti Ahonen, 2003–04)
- Three studies on aspects of intergovernmental cultural co-operation in Europe, for European Commission project led by Interarts, EFAH & CIRCLE (2003)
- Report on a strategic international framework for the arts for Arts Council: East England (2002)
- Feasibility study on the need for a European agency for cultural co-operation information for European Cultural Foundation (2002)
- Survey of cultural and leisure policies and structures in 8 world cities for Greater London Authority (2001)
- Intelligence on policies, legislation and programmes of the European institutions and monitoring of cultural policies internationally for Arts Council of England (1994–2006)
- Free international information enquiry service for UK artists and arts organisations, Arts Council of England (1994–2005)
- Chairman, expert group evaluating cultural policy in Finland for Council of Europe (1994).